Recovered!Posted by Gina Ramirez on Dec 7, 2020 in Health Blog | 0 comments
I never thought it would happen to me. I mean.... I consider myself uber healthy. I've been on several out of state trips since the pandemic happened. I've been to restaurants. I've been to the grocery store countless times. I've always worn my mask, washed my hands, hand sanitized like crazy. And the one time we let our guard down--BAM! COVID got me and my hubby!
What started out as a sinus headache turned into full blown body aches and cold symptoms. I would have thought it just a bad cold if I hadn't been tested to confirm it. You see, the virus never went into my lungs. I kept hearing on the news it attacks your lungs. For me, it never went there. Here's how I experienced it.....
I had symptoms in the beginning like I had allergies coming on. Foggy head and headache. As the days progressed it felt like I had a bad cold, then body aches, and my insides hurt. I had a fever for one day. We lost our taste and smell (its slowly coming back). The symptoms weren't as severe as what I was hearing on TV. Everyone experiences this virus in different ways. I don't want to focus in on the symptoms as much as what I DID every day to make sure that I would heal as quickly as possible.
When you're sick--any sickness I think these simple principles will help you to recover well.
1. Eat bone broth and choose soups over heavy meals. Bone broth has so many vitamins and minerals that are great for your body. The important thing to remember is not to overload with heavy food. We're talking eating light meals so your body can concentrate on healing not digesting. There's a reason chicken soup is a staple for sickness. I had cabbage soup with a very light broth.
2. Get outside every single day. Every day I sat outside in the sun for a good 20-30 minutes. I was taking in deep breaths, and enjoying the sun shine and giving my body fresh air.
3. Sleep. When we're sick, we need to rest. We need to sleep. I was getting 10-12 hours of sleep a day. Literally everything in my life stopped. When we sleep our body does the job of repair.
4. Flood your body with herbs, vitamins and minerals. I tripled my Juice Plus consumption. Juice Plus is simply the nutrients from 30 fruits and veggies in a capsule. I was taking them THREE times a day. I was also taking echinacea, zinc, propolis, Vitamin D, and several adaptogenic herbs like ashwagandha, reishi, burdock, dandelion roots, rhodiola, chaga and more. Adaptogenic herbs strengthen my stress response and when you're body is sick, it's under stress.
5. Let go! I stopped worrying about everything. I stopped thinking about all the packing that needs to get done. I stopped thinking about our upcoming move and all the pieces that have to fall into place to make that happen. I stopped thinking about what's for dinner. I started focusing in on getting well. I visualized my body filled with healing light and energy. I spent more time in prayer. I tried to focus each day on what was feeling better and how I was getting well.
It took seven days. Seven days from start to the fog of fatigue lifting. It was a very unpleasant seven days, but we survived without a a hospital visit.
My boys never got sick. We kept them away from us and sanitized the heck out of the kitchen (our common area). At the tail end of this fiasco, we lost our taste and smell. Just in time for Thanksgiving no taste or smell. This will undoubtable be the most memorable Thanksgiving we've experienced.
So many reasons to be thankful this year! I'm adding "getting over COVID-19" as one of those reasons. If I had been starting this journey from a sick place, at a disadvantage, who knows where this sickness would have taken me. You never know how your body will react. Friends, consider where your health picture is right now. What can you do to level up? You never know when or if you'll get this terrible illness but if you do, I want you to be as healthy as possible. Give yourself the best chance to fight it quickly.
As for us, we'll continue to fly on airplanes and live our lives. We'll continue to wear our mask, wash our hands and hand sanitize. But we won't be so cavalier about being around someone who could potentially be sick. There's no reason to risk it!
No matter how healthy we are..... we're not completely immune to every illness. Your immune system is going to do its best to fight for you. That means we have to keep it in tip top shape. Choose the right foods, move your body more, drink all the water, and stress less.
Need some help for you or someone you love in the health department? You know where to find me!